Tenants Winter Property Checklist
By lucmin on 27th November 2020
Winter Property Checklist
Making sure your property is ready for winter means you’ll be able to keep the warmth in, save money and protect your home in the cold months ahead. With this checklist, you can help us detect minor faults and prevent unexpected heating outages in your home.
You can do some simple checks to make sure your heating is ready for winter. This includes radiators and fireplaces.
- Check the pilot light for your boiler is on
- Your gas safety certificate should be valid and updated annually. Make sure to check with your Property Manager if the certificate has expired
- Fireplaces and chimneys should have been cleaned before you moved in. But if you are resident for an extended period of time, please check that they are clean and clear
- Check radiators are working correctly. If you need to bleed radiators you can either do this yourself or request a professional to do it for you
Your insulation needs to be efficient to enable you to keep the heat in. Inefficient insulation means lost heat and lost money.
- Check draught proof covers around letterboxes and keyholes
- Check door and window frames for damage and report a repair if necessary
Gardens & outdoor areas
In the winter months, gardens and outdoor space tend to become neglected. To minimise damage to property caused by infrequent use, you should:
- Trim bushes and prune trees
- Rake up any fallen leaves
- Put away or cover any equipment or outdoor furniture
The dry months are a good opportunity to check the property before the wet and cold weather sets in. If you can’t access certain windows or gutters safely, please hire a professional to do so safely.
- Check for peeling paint, which can be a sign of moisture penetrating the building
- Check pipes, drains and guttering to make sure they’re clear and properly affixed
- Clean windows before the wet months
- Make sure vents are not obstructed
- Check exterior lights are working correctly
Keeping the water flowing is even more important in the winter months. These quick checks will make sure you’re ready.
- Make sure pipes are insulated, especially pipes in the loft or outside the premises
- Check the stopcock is working
- Make sure pipes are clear
Did you find any issues?
If your property suffers any damage at any time, please make sure you report the issue as soon as possible. You can report issues via the telephone number below;