Dealing with Noisy Neighbours

By in Blog with 0 Comments

Noisy neighbours can be more than a nuisance, they can often be the reason we move home.  If you are subjected to constant dog barking, loud music, screaming children and doors banging at all hours of the day and night, it can feel like your neighbours are ruining your life!

The brutal truth is that, if you live in an apartment or terraced / semi-detached house, much of the enjoyment of your property rests on the civility of your neighbours.  Don’t despair, if your noisy neighbours are driving you around the bend, rest assured that you are not alone.  Most people, at some time in their lives, have had to deal with neighbours who make too much noise.  You do have the right to seek legal redress, but this should only be done as a last resort.

What can you do?

Start a conversation

The best way to deal with a noisy neighbour is to pop round and explain to them in a calm manner that their music, dog, children, stomping up and down stairs etc, is disturbing you.  Pick your moment.  Knocking on the door at 2am while a party is in full swing and the occupants have ‘had a few’ may not elicit the best reaction.  You are more likely to have success if you express your concerns the next day, when everyone’s heads are clear.

In the vast majority of cases, a quick chat sorts the problem out.  Most people are mortified at the thought of causing a disturbance to those around them, and your neighbour may have had no clue that their noise was affecting you.

Be reasonable and take a balanced view.  Your neighbours have a right to enjoy their property too.  Try to compromise, for example, ask them to warn you the next time they are having a party so you can make alternative plans, and request that any loud music wraps up at midnight.

Talk to the landlord or the letting agency

If your neighbour is a tenant and ignores your requests to quieten down, you may need to contact their landlord or in most cases the letting agency.  Tenants will normally have a clause in their Tenancy Agreement prohibiting them from actions and/or behaviour that cause a nuisance to their neighbours. Lettings agents will notify the tenants that they have had complaints (this can be anonymous).  Your Solicitor can help you to find out the name and address of the landlord so that you can contact them however a quick search online with generally do the job. Enter the address and ‘to let’ and it will pop up from previous adverts.

Contact your local council

If talking to your neighbour elicits no positive results, you can make a complaint to your local authority. Under the Noise Act 1996 and other associated legislation, your local council must investigate any noise that is deemed to be a ‘nuisance’.  If your neighbour’s noise is deemed a nuisance, then the Council can issue an Abatement Notice.  The notice will stipulate that either the noise must stop completely, be reduced to a certain level, or is only permitted during certain times of the day.  If you neighbour fails to comply with the notice, they can be fined up to £5,000 if you are dealing with a person or up to £20,000 if it’s a business creating the noise.  Any device such as a sound system can also be seized by an Environmental Health Officer or the police for up to 28 days until the court decides what should be done with it.

If the nuisance becomes more than just incidental noise, and you feel threatened, harassed, or in fear of violence, then it is time to call the police.


Your local authority may recommend that you and your noisy neighbour attend mediation as a way of resolving your dispute.  Mediation is a process whereby an impartial third party, known as a mediator, helps you and your neighbour come to an agreement over how to resolve the noise issue.  Because the process is designed to be non-confrontational and assist parties to resolve disputes between themselves, mediation is also a good way of preserving or re-establishing good relations

Get your solicitor to write a letter

A letter from a solicitor can often be enough to make a noisy neighbour take your complaint seriously.  This strategy works well if your neighbour is a tenant, and the letter points out that if they do not cease in their noisy activities, they could face eviction. If all else fails, you can take legal action against a neighbour through the Courts. Your solicitor can advise you in relation to the process and the likely costs.

As they say, “our house is our castle”, no matter how large or modest, and noisy neighbours can make life miserable. If a fair and reasonable discussion with your neighbour or their landlord does not elicit the desired outcome, rest assured, you do have a number of non-legal and legal options available to you so that you can enjoy peace and tranquillity in your own home.

If all else fails you can of course move, we have many properties and we are always willing to keep our eyes out for you. Just email  and we will register you or take a look at our website;



For more useful property blogs visit;

Share This
George Tatham-Losh

Since forming the business in 2009, our founder, George Tatham-Losh, has become highly regarded as the local go to expert for advice on maximising property values and getting the most out of property investments, regularly speaking at events and holding well attended seminars. Born and raised in Cheltenham, George knows the town and County like no other and knows what works in the area. Alongside George is a specialist team of agents with a wealth of experience to help you sell, buy, let or rent property in Gloucestershire.

Blog Post Disclaimer

This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.

All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.

Downloadable Files and Images Any downloadable file, including but not limited to pdfs, docs, jpegs, pngs, is provided at the user’s own risk. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages resulting from a corrupted or damaged file.

Comments Comments are welcome. However, the blog owner reserves the right to edit or delete any comments submitted to this blog without notice due to :

  • Comments deemed to be spam or questionable spam.
  • Comments including profanity.
  • Comments containing language or concepts that could be deemed offensive.
  • Comments containing hate speech, credible threats, or direct attacks on an individual or group.

The blog owner is not responsible for the content in comments.

This blog disclaimer is subject to change at anytime.

If in considering action upon the contents of this blog, one should always seek professional advice.

We Won Banner We Won Banner